2012-06-08

* Pecha Kucha at Space Gallery

The May Pecha Kucha Night was held at Space Gallery on Congress Street in Portland, Maine.  Board Member Daryl Turicek and I had been in touch for previous Pecha Kucha events, but my schedule never allowed.  I am so excited that it finally worked out for me to photograph one.  Embarrassing, but I can't believe I had never actually attended a Pecha Kucha before.  It is so cool.  It breeds creativity.  In that spirit, I tried to play with my photography a bit, pushing the line a little more than my typical event shooting coverage... attempting to make really creative, visually stimulating, impactful images, rather than cover everything I see.  Of course, the natural documentarian in me still did that to a degree, but final deliverables to the board were more creative selects.  In this blog post, however, I included more shots, so I could show each lovely presenter.  I am looking forward to future PK nights.  Hope to see you there.

To sum up what Pecha Kucha is, presenters have 20 slides with 20 seconds per slide to show their work.  The approach and topics run the gamut, artistry and creativity prevail, and the forced brevity often leads to a bout of laughter by all at some juncture.  I commend anyone for presenting... 6 minutes and 40 seconds is a long time to fill.  And in case you were wondering like I was, "Pecha Kucha" began in Tokyo, is pronounced "Peh-Chak-Cha," and translates to the Japanese term for "chit chat."

To learn more about Pecha Kucha in Portland, Maine and other locations around the state, visit www.pechakuchaportland.org.

To learn more about Pecha Kucha around the world, visit www.pecha-kucha.org.






Space Gallery hosted the Pecha Kucha Night.


Space Gallery is such a cool space for events and hosts many.  The lack of lighting for PK and the dark ceilings provided a good, creative challenge for my photography.


The venerable Sean Wilkinson of Might & Main was emcee for the night.


Packed in crowd ready to be wowed at Space Gallery.









Arthur Fink presented "My Creative Process" (and is my neighbor on Peaks Island).





Paul Lewandowski presented "Couture d’Intérieu." 







Kiddos in awe of a presentation (these siblings and their dad are fellow Peaks Islanders).



One of Paul Lewandowski's creations.



Nathan Fogg presented "The Orifice Series" (not to be confused with "The Office Series").



Nathan Fogg.



PK Board Member Kyo Bannai (center) enjoys a presentation with a smile.  I had the pleasure of meeting her at the end of the night.



Howard Hatch presented "Form & Function."
















Howard Hatch.



One of the sponsors for the night, bild ARCHITECTURE, founded by PK Board Member Evan Carroll and his wife Sasha Salzberg, whom I had the pleasure of meeting.






Attendees enjoying an intermission under a disco ball.  We should have turned it on!











Intermission, stretch those legs.






Intermission, ahhh the fresh air of Congress Street.  Actually, it was a thousand degrees inside Space due to all the people burning with creativity, so the city air did feel refreshing.







Julie Vohs presented "Art & Gestation."







Adam Chittenden presented "A Traveler's Journal."



Adam Chittenden.



Adam Chittenden.






Sarah Sutton presented "Why Love Foodtrucks?"  Her truck can be found at Fort Williams Park.  Mainebiz recently ran a story on whether food trucks will be allowed in Portland.



Sarah Sutton.




Sarah Sutton.



Spectators soaking in the slides.




Kaitlyn Hunter presented "Biomorphic Meanderings."







Willow Ross presented "Loss, Desire & Fantasy."







Willow Ross.



Liz Mortati presented "Inside Outsider Art."





Liz Mortati.



Mike Libby presented "Do Not Touch."  I was happy to finally meet Mike after many phone calls and emails to buy one of his amazing insect art pieces (Insect Lab Studio) for my mother.




Mike Libby.  Yo.







The view the presenters had from their podium, drenched in bright spotlight, and decorated with a bell that when rung would kick-start the slides.  Could you imagine yourself here?  If so, be a presenter at the next Pecha Kucha!









No comments:

Post a Comment